Thursday, January 26, 2006

I Yam What I Yam

1. My favorite childhood toy was... Like everything else in my life, I didn't have just one favorite toy. I guess that's a pattern in my life--it's what makes me a "good" Sagittarian. I liked sitting in my dark little closet and playing Simon Says. I rode my Big-Wheels with the best of them. I loved my books....(and the list goes on)...

2. My favorite childhood game was... I spent a lot of time alone as a child, but one game I especially liked was pretending that I was a run-away orphan. One of my favorite stories was The Boxcar Children. I think I might have been a born traveler. Sometimes I miss the imagination I once had.

3. The best movie I ever saw as a kid was... The Dark Crystal. I must have been about 7 and was tagging along with my sister and her friends to the movie. It was sold out but our babysitter's (who we still think of as an extra grandma) son, Davey, worked at the theater and let the whole bunch of sit in the stairway leading up to the projector room. From the dark staircase we watched a magical world unfold--I've always loved that movie since.

4. I don't do it much but I enjoy... biking (for this, I look forward to warmer weather), swimming in the river (this makes me miss my friend Josh), singing (did I mention that I'm not very good?--especially when I have an audience), horseback riding (where do I find a horse? I could line something up. It would just take a little initiative!)

5. If I could lighten up a little, I'd let myself... DANCE!

6. If it weren't too late, I'd... Too late? It's never too late!

7. My favorite musical instrument is... Oh--here's that problem with not just one again! I love the cello because it gets me from the inside out. I love the banjo because it can't make a sad sound. I love piano because, for me, it is the most expressive of instruments. I love the Native American Indian flute because it feels like BREATH and sounds like nature. I like playing spoons because they're fun.

8. The amount of money I spend on treating myself to entertainment each month is... depends on what you call entertainment. Often my "work" world and my fun world coincide. I guess I'm lucky that way. As a student I'm "forced" to buy books. As a painter I'm "forced" to buy art supplies. As a writer I'm "forced" to buy journals. As for non-productive entertainment--I don't spend nearly enough. But $ is a funny little trap that I don't much like. I'm just as happy in the woods as I am spending money somewhere. I try to remind myself of that as often as possible

9. If I weren't so stingy with my artist, I'd buy her... 3 plane tickets--one to India to fill the well, one to Italy to learn more (for school or a workshop--or to live), and one to New York for a little inspiration. My budget is better suited to taking her out for coffee or buying her a plant.

10. Taking time out for myself is... feeling more and more like an impossibility. The further I get into the semester the more guilty I feel for every second not spent doing work.

11. I am afraid if I start dreaming... I won't graduate. I WANT to graduate. I am one semester away from a Master's in English and it has been much more difficult that I would have ever anticipated. I'm ready to start dreaming again. And I'll be ready to begin making those dreams a reality once I've accomplished this goal. I'm afraid that once I start dreaming my life will go in unexpected directions...and I'm afraid of what I'll have to sacrifice in order to make those dreams a reality.

12. I secretly enjoy reading... Kids books and magazines like People and Oprah.

13. If I had had the perfect childhood I'd have grown up to be... me. Anyway, I'm not all that fond of perfect--perfect is boring. I'm ok with the imperfections of my childhood--mostly.

14. If it didn't sound so crazy, I'd write... a book of art and thoughts...a crazy mess of both. Actually, these books are popular now and I find myself being extremely attracted to the haphazardness of them. Maybe I need to get academia out of my system-- where these sorts of things are not necessarily valued (this makes me sad).

15. My parents think artists are... weird, but wonderful. My mom IS an artist and my dad supports the arts by default. He would rather watch football, but will show up for poetry readings and art openings anyway. Being an artist isn't a huge deal in my family, but it is valued.

16. My God thinks artists are...everything they're meant to be. God is Art. God and artists have a few things in common--especially the drive to CREATE! Actually, somewhere between the age of 12 and 18 I started to get confused by the idea of god. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

17. What makes me feel weird about this recovery is... revealing my true, cheesy self.

18. Learning to trust myself is probably... the best thing that could ever happen to me. I notice that the more REAL I get with myself, the more involved I feel with my own life--and even though I'm afraid people will think I'm weird and not take me seriously, the more real I am with myself, the more genuine my interactions are with the world.

19. My most cheer-me-up music is... Bonnie Raitt--ooh, she gets me singing every time!

20. My favorite way to dress is... comfortable, but not slouchy. I like to show off my curves without showing the rolls! :)-

5 Comments:

Blogger daru said...

just saying hey.and that i appreciate your posts :) it's nice to be on the aw with you! i'm a big dog lover too!

2:08 AM  
Blogger megg said...

I just spent a lovely few minutes reading through your posts and then finding your other blog and reading through that too! It was really neat to see lots of aspects of you. I loved (LOVED!) the pictures of your workspace. I was sitting next to my boyfriend and showed him and said, "look how FUN she is!"

Thank you for leaving such a nice message on my site too. I'm glad you did so I could find you. I'll be back!

4:02 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

ahhhh...i also love bonnie raitt
and that was too funny about the
curves, but no rolls
:)
great list!

and i'm glad to hear that you
are so close to reaching your goal...
that must be quite a feeling
:)

5:12 AM  
Blogger Frivolitea said...

I like your blog. Though I am a tea rather than coffee fanatic, they are both wonderful beverages. The Blue Dog image is terrific. And I like Bonnie Raitt! Keep up the good work.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow---- we have so much in common-- native american flute, the goddess that is Bonnie Raitt, and on -- loved reading this list!

Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth
~http://bluepoppy.omworks.com

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home