Sunday, January 15, 2006

what to write where?

I have a recurring problem in my life--and that is stretching myself too thin. Today was a good day spent catching up on reading in The Artist's Way. It has been several years since I last picked up the book and I felt I deserved giving myself the time to refresh my memory if I'm going to devote my time and energy to this.

And now it is already 5:30 at night in a northern Minnesota winter. The light is draining quickly from the sky and I'm beginning to feel guilty because it's time to walk the dog.

But about stretching myself too thin... I have another blog that I have been dedicated to on a daily basis for the last couple years. I also have paper journals that I have been dedicated to my whole life (although less now that I blog). Now I have this blog--which I created specifically for AW in order to give me breathing space and protect my anonymity. I want to be able to write what I am thinking without worrying about what the day-to-day people in my life think about it. Not to mention, if feels really good to have joined a community of SUPPORTIVE artists and thinkers. I've created this blog to create a balance in my writing life, yet I find myself still needing to figure out what I want to write where. For AW do I want to write my morning pages here or in my journal? Am I asking you or myself?

I don't know, but even in writing this I feel myself breaking wide open, bursting at the seams! There's so much I want to write! Oh--how long have I been holding myself back?
The answer: much, much too long.

Ok--so I'm not sure where I'll write anything. But there's only one thing I'm promising myself...and that is to NOT HOLD BACK!

3 Comments:

Anonymous donna said...

I'm having the same problem this week, with way too many things going on. I have two blogs - one for myself, one collecting articles and stories about native plants. I have my morning pages journal, a notebook for class notes, ddrawing pads and watercolor paper galore, an entire bag of art supplies hanging out on the floor, and look! Here's another so-far empty sketchbook I'm not even sure where it came from...

Oh well, at least we have lots of options, hmm?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm also prone to having too much going on - it sure can clutter things up. As for the morning pages - that's entirely up to you. I'd keep them in a journal, personally, since we're advised not to share them with anyone or even reread them for the first 8 weeks. It just seems easiest - they're not meant to be put out for public viewing - but as Kat has often (and accurately) said - we're supposed to use this creatively. So obviously if you want to share them you can - but if you don't strongly want to, a private journal seems likeliest.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

it is hard to balance everything. i think it's wonderful that you have this space to write about your aw experiences freely. i think you're doing great. :-)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home