Tuesday, February 28, 2006

recovering a sense of connection: a collage

It's taken me awhile to post this, but a few days ago I made a collage on the coffee table.


I found myself drawn to images of butterflies and moths, motherhood, and far away places. It seems silly now to try and explain it since in many ways I suppose it speaks for itself. My life feels like it's in the middle of a transformation-- a bit between worlds, like a moth in her cocoon. I was a little surprised by the beauty and richness of color of the images once they were assembled next to one another. Since I didn't glue my collage down, it lasted only as long as I had it on the table. But I've been carrying those images and colors around inside of me ever since. I think of it at odd moments as I drift off to sleep or look out the window. Life, like the collage, is only temporary--and it's up to me to create the life I want, to put the pieces together in a beautiful, or at least interesting, pattern.

Since moving a few months ago we've had 4 orchids bloom in our new (rented) house. We now have only a 1/4 of the window space and half the light, but for one reason or another, the plants we were able to keep are practically growing out of their pots. Someone once told me that a plant will only bloom in a happy home. In many ways, selling my house felt like nothing more than loss. But I'm beginning to realize that this is my-place-of-in-between, the place where my stunty little wings start regaining their strength. Tomorrow, anything is possible. And what that notion leaves me with is an incredible sense of abundance.

The mango is one I bought last week after being inspired by Greenishlady's post. It took awhile to ripen, but I finally ate it yesterday--and it was as good as I imagined it would be. Juicy and succulant, it dripped down my fingers and chin and reminded me of India. It was worth every penny.

My collage is now safely tucked into an envelope in my journal--to remind me of all these little revelations.

Here's to all of us...that we may live our life's many dreams and continuously discover a sense of connection.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jyesika said...

How funny, I've been madly collecting butterflies off of ebay to put into shadow boxes. I just won a really interesting collection of unmounted beetles and moths.
Mabey it's something about spring.

Your collages are very lovely. They make me want to do mine, right this instant. I've been slacking.

10:08 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I think that's marvellous - an unglued collage, that stays flexible, yet collected/connected in one place. If you put it together again, it will be different, but with the same elements in it. Wow! - I love the Poppy not yet unfurled, and all the colour and spice in the faroff places. I am so glad you are feeling better - and those journal pages are very striking too, esp. the tea. Great.

3:17 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

i loved this post. a blooming orchid and a single mango can go an awfully long way, eh? and i have butterflies in my collage, too. connection, everywhere.

8:14 AM  
Blogger megg said...

Here's to you. I am honoured to have met you.

Your collage was lovely. How funny - I've been drawn to blossoms and butterflies lately - it's all about metamorphosis, change, and rebirth. I hope you can put your collage out again whenever you need to remember.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home