Sunday, March 26, 2006

late night at the office...

Outside my door the halls are dark and empty, but I'm here for a late night and hopefully some focus. I came here because campus is always luxuriously quiet on Sunday evenings. I'm plugged into my ipod trying to plan class and write an essay simultaneously. But then "Maria" came through my headphones...from Willy Nelson's The Great Divide album. Transported. I'm transported instantly from this big green desk on the 3rd floor of Hagg Sauer to the middle of nowhere, North Dakota. This song reminds me of the bike trip I took a few years ago from Minnesota to the Rockies (against the wind). It reminds me of little towns marked only by a grainery and a bar. It reminds me of our bright blue tent set up next to the swings in "city" parks with populations of less than a dozen. It reminds me of standing on top of jungle gyms in the dying light of an endless prairie--which was the sort of place I would seek out each night to write. I brought a little rinky-dink tape player with me on that trip--and, with the music playing loud enough, I remember feeling like I was going to explode and dissolve all at the same time--like sky.

It was wonderful.

Strange how easy it is to be in two places at once.

I pull myself back to work--but reluctantly.

6 Comments:

Blogger Endment said...

I see it...

Love these short flights of fancy - but it is so hard sometimes to return.

4:57 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

you have captured that feeling
so well...the feeling of being
in two places...

and funny
how music
can take you there

:)

8:15 AM  
Blogger HoBess said...

great post ... I can see you standing on top of a jungle gym! Hope the last weeks of the semester are good ones!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Joy Eliz said...

you are so right! I've had that happen before. I love when I hear a song that I love and it just puts me in the best mood.

5:20 AM  
Blogger LoriLaurieLauri said...

Music does that so well!

10:22 AM  
Blogger megg said...

mmmmmm, I love that! I have found my world to be a new place with my ipod. I find myself doing exactly what you descibed - being in two places - reality and memory lane. I love it dearly. Good luck getting your work all done!! xo

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home