Thursday, March 09, 2006

on support and shaking creative blocks:

It was a stop - you - in - your - tracks beautiful day complete with a fresh foot of heavy, melting snow and 34 degree sunshine. I slopped around town in my boots instead of bothering to dig the car out--and my wanderings brought me on a mini-artist's date to my studio where I spent some quiet time alone and in peace. I wanted to give myself some down time to reflect on the incredible advice I received from all of you on my last post about being blocked. I have taken your words to heart. Today I made a collage of your comments that I'll leave next to my writing space to refer to whenever I feel stuck.


Your suggestions have reminded me that, yes, I do have it in me. I have a lot to say about India--it's just a matter of getting it onto the page--and giving myself the space to do it without beating myself up every step of the way. Anyway, this is MY thesis--it is MY work--it is MY story. Fuck 'em. What does Cameron say? "Don't let the bastards get you down!" That statement feels a bit harsh and angry--and confrontation isn't the approach I'm looking for. However, I do deserve to enjoy my work. Ok, so fine...I am hereby starting over! Thank you for all of your good suggestions. I've already started putting them to use. Tonight I took a break and had Indian for supper. I read Anne Lamott. And I keep thinking about what IF I wrote letters to janabanana and sky, what IF I wrote somewhere less intimidating--in a notebook or on a blog.

Anyway, I feel your support. And thank you. It's having this wonderful effect of keeping my head above water...and I'm feeling the block beginning to lose it's hold on me (ha! like a disease to be cured of!). Thank you. I'm not kidding--thank you.


10 Comments:

Blogger megg said...

SO glad you are feeling fiesty again! Keep us posted on how it's going!!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Joy Eliz said...

What a fantastic idea - support is just a glance away...

6:58 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

What a super idea!... I have a book where I keep "Words of Encouragement" quotes and things that inspire me but what a creative idea to make those powerful thoughts part of your own personal creativity!

7:05 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

what a great way
to remind yourself
of the comments/advice
you received...
i love this idea
and i'm glad you are
feeling "up" again...

:)

11:54 AM  
Blogger HoBess said...

I love that you took the "virtual" world and made it concrete and gave it color so you can reach to it whenever you feel like it. Awesome.

12:06 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

That is a wonderful idea. Well done on picking yourself up and setting off again.

1:44 PM  
Blogger melba said...

I roamed up and down your blog today...where to stop, where to start. I write and then delete because my words don't seem to capture how in awe I am of your mountains and struggles and your ability to bounce back. Everyone feels drama in their own life and since I didn't even finish college I look upon in wonder at your goals.
On a lighter note...Indian take-out always makes me smile. Yum!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*dancing*

*twirling*

heee-- isn't it GREAT! I love when the blogworld helps like this-- it feels SO good. And you are on the other side I can FEEL it I can SEE it!

~bluepoppy

3:27 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

ah, that's great to hear.

i read your post last night, and it sounded so familiar, similar to my experience of art school that seemed to suck all the joy out of art-making for me.

i'm glad you are taking all the bloggy love that is out there for you and using it like a blanket to cover you with goodness and light. xoxoxoxo

4:30 PM  
Blogger Jana B said...

I love how you put the comments from your blog and collaged them. I was actually trying to think of a way to save all the sweet comments I've gotten in the past few days too. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home